Outline for October 17, 2012
Reading: § 7
Assignment Due: October 24, 2012 at 5:00PM
Example: Cæsar cipher
- How to write a program
- Problem statement: be explicit, specify exactly what the program needs to do
- Design: state how the program will work in high-level terms
- High-level design: what does the program actually do?
- Data: how do you represent the data?
- Functions: What functions do you need?
- Refinement: refine until the design can be translated into code
- Implementation: translate the statement into Python code
- How it works
- Encipher [caesarenc.py]
- Decipher [caesardec.py]
A PDF version is available here.
ECS 10, Basic Concepts of Computing
Fall Quarter 2012