Outline for October 27, 2003
Reading: Chapters 10.4, 10.6, 11.1, 11.3
An attacker has changed the home page of the New York Times. The
new version indicates disgust with one of the Times' reporters.
Throughout this puzzle, assume that no other damage was done.
- If their intent was to show that the New York Times needed
better security on their web page, was this an appropriate technique?
Why or why not?
- The attackers feel that the reporter wronged one of their
friends. The Times ignored their letters and protests. So they
decided on a more noticeable protest. Was this an appropriate form
of protest? Why or why not?
Outline for the Day
- Cryptographic Key Infrastructure
- Certificates (X.509, PGP)
- Certificate, key revocation
- Digital Signatures
- Judge can confirm, to the limits of technology, that claimed
signer did sign message
- RSA digital signatures: sign, then encipher
Here is a PDF version of this document.