Due Date:Friday, December 6, 2013 at 5:00pm
Important Note: No homework accepted after 11:59 pm, December 6, 2013!
- (50 points) Please find news reports of two insider attacks. Describe the attacks, why you believe the attacks were by “insiders”, and what happened to both the perpetrators and the organizations involved (and in particular, what steps if any the organization took, or planned to take, to prevent another such attack).
- (20 points) Please define the terms “honeypot” and “honeynet” as they are used in computer security.
- (30 points) Several European countries, and the European Union, are considering “right to be forgotten” laws. The law would allow people to withdraw their consent to use personal data that they have put online at any time. So someone who had a copy of online data from a person who decided to withdraw their consent would have to delete that data.
- Please discuss the benefits and drawbacks of such a law.
- How might it be implemented — or could it not be implemented, and if not why not?
- (20 points) A common opinion is that every action taken on the Internet should be attributable to an individual who can be identified accurately. So, for example, if someone downloaded a file, there would be a way to determine who had done it.
- How would this benefit law enforcement?
- How would this be used against law enforcement?